Skip to main content

books!

   I love to read. I have always loved a good book and the older I get, the more I fall in love with the classics. My reading has slowed a little here recently, since I've been studying for college CLEP tests, but I continue to always have a book going. :) (I am currently reading Silas Marner by George Eliot.) Anyways, the point of this post is to give a book suggestion/review of one of my *favorites*. It is not considered a classic, like a Jane Austen novel, but it is certainly a classic to me!

The King Raven Trilogy - Hood, Scarlet, & Tuck
      This series is absolutely incredible. The storyline is based on the legend of Robin Hood, but the details of all of our beloved Robin Hood "facts" have been changed. Robin's name is not Robin but instead Bran (Rhi Bran y Hud, to be exact), the story is set in Wales, and there is no Prince John or Richard the Lionhearted. After reading it in this new light, though, despite everything being changed, this is the only way I would want the Robin Hood story to play out. Also, I am absolutely in love with Lawhead's character development. He brilliantly captures the people in his story, and you find yourself in complete adoration of them (even tough-skinned Siarles!) 
    The first book is written in third person and follows Bran and I'll be honest with you, there is a section, quite a big section, of the book that moves slowly, and the first time reading it you hope that it is soon over, but it really adds to the story later and, after rereading the book a few times, you get a few hidden meanings out of some of the stories. ;) 
     Interestingly, Lawhead changes the tune for the second book. He writes Scarlet in first person - from Will Scarlet's point of view. The story backs up in time a little bit to allow you to see Will's beginnings and his arrival to Bran's clan. At first his switch in viewpoint really bothered me, but by the end I loved that he changed views! In Hood, Lawhead really dove into developing Bran's character, so it was fascinating to see him through someone else's eyes! 
     By the third book Lawhead has developed the characters so deeply that he focuses more on the action of the story rather than the actual building of the story. I won't give any details of what happens in Scarlet or Tuck, but just trust me that it is worth reading. The only thing I had a problem with was the Epilogue in Tuck. I'm not entirely sure why I dislike it, but I do. Maybe it's just me.
      To sum up, I highly recommend reading this series if you are looking for some great books! If you have read this series let me know what you think of it, or if you have any book suggestions I would love to hear them! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

today is the day

Today is the day. Today is *your* day. Try something new, go on an adventure, stretch out your muscles, achieve a new goal, write a story, read some poetry, drink some hot tea... the possibilities are endless! Sometimes life happens to you and sometimes you make life happen. So, today, make life happen for you. "maybe it won't work out. But maybe seeing if it does will be the best adventure ever." ... "I will never apologize for being me. You should apologize for asking me to be anything else." ...

1 Year = 365 Opportunities

    Wow. It is officially 2017. How crazy is that?! I'm excited about it being a new year. I know there is no set rule to when you can set goals for yourself, but there is something exciting about starting a new year with goals and waiting to see them completed by the next year. I have a few 'New Year Resolutions' and I'm really excited, to be honest. I think it will be wonderful looking back on how I started 2017 and then how I'm going to end 2017! "If you want 2017 to be your year; don't sit on the couch and wait for it. Go out. Make a change. Smile more. Be excited. Do new things. Throw away what you've been cluttering. Unfollow negative people on social media. Go to bed early. Wake up early. Be fierce. Don't gossip. Show more gratitude. Do things that challenge you. Be brave." ... "It's not what you are that is holding you back. It's what you think you are not."... "You are your only limit." ... "Gr...

fear

Let's talk about fear. Fear is not of God. "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind" 2 Timothy 1:7 We need not be afraid when God is on our side. When He is the One fighting for you, you will win! Doubt and fear will try and creep into your mind, and when they do, you need to rid yourself of those thoughts. They are from the devil. Just a little thought I wanted to share tonight. :)